Tuesday 27 November 2012

Scalped Review



I knew nothing about Scalped going into the book, apart from the obvious name and the cover art that suggested it dealt with Native Americans in some way. If anything I was expecting a historical piece, so I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the book to find a dirty, gritty story set in relatively modern America.

As the story unfolded over the first issue I was finding it hard to sympathise with Dashiell ‘Dash’ Bad Horse at all, and couldn’t see how he was going to be a character I would want to continue reading about, but the revelations as to his true motivations made him a much more interesting character, one trapped in a awful situation that I wanted to see resolved.
 
Scalped is well written and has some great twists and turns in this first volume and creates a cast of very dubious and multi-faceted character where it’s not always clear who is the hero and who is the villain, and much like in real life the people in the book are shown to be able to perform acts of kindness and acts of evil.

I am very much looking forward to reading the next volume of Scalped and seeing how the story and characters continue to evolve. 7/10

Amy.
xx

Amy Walker Facebook
Trans Girl Writer Facebook Fan Page
Amy Walker Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment