Wednesday 9 November 2022

Star Wars: The Mandalorian #4 - Comic Review

 

Originally published on Patreon


I've said in my previous Mando reviews how one of the biggest problems with the series has been how its retelling the stories of the episodes with none of the magic that makes the show really stand out. This issue might be one of the worst examples of that as reading this issue felt so completely bland and joyless that I actually started to question why I'm even reading the series.

As those who've seen the show will know, this issue sees Din and Grogu head to a remote planet to lay low, but whilst there they end up making friends with a former Rebel shock trooper, Cara Dune, and get roped into helping to protect a small village from a group of bandits that are threatening their way of life. Star Wars does Seven Samurai yet again.

One of the things that I remember liking about this episode was the relationships that formed. The village felt like a nice place, the people felt lovely, and I could believe that Din was tempted to give up his old life and settle down there. This issue told me all that, but never convinced me of it. And this was something that I found when reading the scenes where the characters were preparing to fight the bandits, or when Cara and Din were fighting. Everything felt flat and without any real emotion or gravity.

Perhaps part of the problem is that I've seen the series, so am always going to compare it to that. Maybe if all I knew of The Mandalorian was this comic series I'd find it really entertaining. But I honestly struggle to. Things move too fast, with scenes from the show that were given minutes to unfold taking place over just a page because there's a lot to cram in. I never feel like I'm connecting with the characters or story; and that's one of the worst things for any type of story; because if I can't find anything to connect to, what't it even for?


This article, and many others, can be read a month early on my Patreon for as little as $3 a month!


Support Amy on Patreon

Buy Amy A Coffee

Go to Amy's Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment