Saturday 22 October 2022

Dark Crisis: Young Justice #4 - Comic Review

 

Originally published on Patreon


I'm honestly starting to dislike this series; which considering that most of these characters got me into comics from their time in Teen Titans, is hugely disappointing for me. I just don't get what the point of this series is, or why it's part of Dark Crisis, other than the fact that it's happening at the same time. Even with the reveal at the end of this issue as to who's behind things, I don't see the Dark Crisis connection.

A good portion of this issue is taken up with the boys having to fight the combined might of the JLA and Titans, whilst arguing amongst themselves about what's going on, and what the right thing to do is. Bart and Tim don't want to stay, but Conner is thinking that perhaps this word isn't too bad. So, the boys fight back and forth with each other, trading harsh words and emotional outbursts as they fight fake heroes.

It all feels a bit too much, and unless they've been repressing a lot of stuff for a long, long time, it feels like they should be beyond many of these things now. Conner is upset that he died and no one cared, Tim is upset because Conner died and he did care, but Conner doesn't seem to care, and Bart is upset that he died and no one actually does care, and that the others only care about each other. It's like Tim and Conner are bitter exes too busy arguing with each other to care about the kid, the kid being Bart.

I honestly don't really like it much. It feels like the characters have all regressed somewhat in order to be having these arguments.

In the outside world Cassie, Cissie, and Red Tornado head into space in the Invisible Jet to scan the universe to find the boys. and then get into a fight with space mites. Sure. I guess it fills page space. I don't know, it feels like a weird throwback comics from twenty years ago, but not in a good way.

And that's what this series feels like as a whole. It's not just taking the characters back in time, but seems to be doing the same for the readers. The art style feels like the 90's, the drama is very 90's, and it feels like this comic has been locked away for decades and only just released now. And whilst I've read a lot of 90's comics, they're by no means my favourite, and this series seems to be reminding me why I don't really like that era that much.

And in the final pages we get the big villain reveal, someone who Bart suddenly realises it must be! A brand new villain. So, how does Bart know him? Oh, and he's the teenage so of Mr Mxyzptlk. Sure. At this point I'm kind of beyond caring. 

Like I said, I don't really get what this book is supposed to be doing. If it's trying to remind folks why 90's comics were pretty bad, I guess it's doing a great job. But as it stands it's shot down on my list of stuff I look forward to reading each month. 


This article, and many others, can be read a month early on my Patreon for as little as $3 a month!


Support Amy on Patreon

Buy Amy A Coffee

Go to Amy's Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment