Wednesday 26 October 2022

Black Adam #4 - Comic Review

 

Originally published on Patreon


Maybe it's just me, but I'm not really sure what's supposed to be happening in this series any more. When it began Black Adam was dying, having been infected with a  disease by Darkseid. The it was revealed it wasn't Darkseid, and Desaad did it, but then Desaad was fake and it was actually a group of ancient gods. Maybe. They could just be in Adam's mind. Then Adam died. Now he's alive again, and he's saying he was poisoned with tea, even though that got ruled out in a previous issue. And the gods might be real, and were in a space could. I think.

I am really struggling to understand what's already happened, and I have no idea where this series might be going. It also doesn't help that I kind of don't like Malik much. There are some nice moments with him, like him using his super powers to entertain his infant niece, but on the whole I have no idea what his personality is even supposed to be.

Malik talks constantly, but half the stuff he comes out with seems superfluous, half sentences and jumping from one point to the next to the point where I have no idea what point he's even trying to make. There's a lot of use of slang in this issue, especially when Malik gets thrown out into the street and the pubic are shouting stuff at him. Not being from the US, I had no idea what half the comments they were making meant, and I guess perhaps it's specific to Washinton, as its stuff that I've not heard before.

Black Adam still strikes me as being very different to every other appearance I've read him in too, with him being un-transformed the entire issue, sitting in a comfy chair talking to a friend. It doesn't feel like Black Adam the ruler and moody hero that I've seen in every other comic, and if the name and costume were changed I could believe that this was an entirely new character.

Even the appearance of Etrigan did little to help me enjoy this issue, as the point of the characters inclusion was lost upon me. I don't know why he was here, and much like Malik, I had trouble understanding the things he was saying.

I'm not going to say that the book is bad, as I know there are folks out there that are enjoying it; I'll just say that it very much seems to be a series that is not designed for me at all.


This article, and many others, can be read a month early on my Patreon for as little as $3 a month!


Support Amy on Patreon

Buy Amy A Coffee

Go to Amy's Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment