Thursday 29 September 2022

The Swamp Thing #16 - Comic Review

 

Originally published on Patreon


The final issue of The Swamp Thing feels like something of an anomaly for this series, and for the character of Swamp Thing in general; because it ends on a note of hope and happiness. From everything I've read for the character in the past this feels like a rarity. Swamp Thing seems built to suffer, to be depressed and in pain, but here the series ends in such a way that if he were to never appear again you could feel satisfied and happy with how his story ends.

Not a huge amount happens, the Parliament of Gears must make a choice this issue, with two options for it to pick as its avatar, each with a different outlook on humanity and how to use the power it has. Swamp Thing stands in the middle, urging the parliament to make the right choice.

Whilst it's not an action packed issue, with not a huge amount happening in it it is the culmination of multiple issues that have all been building towards this; and as such it feels a lot bigger than the individual parts.

And as far as endings go it's decent. I enjoyed it, and overall I liked the entire series. I've mentioned in previous The Swamp Thing reviews that I was growing tired of the series a little, and whilst it was an enjoyable read I am glad that it has finally come to an end. I think perhaps it's a series that may sit better with me if ever I choose to reread it again in the future as a single collected piece, rather than waiting month to month for each chapter.


This article, and many others, can be read a month early on my Patreon for as little as $3 a month!


Support Amy on Patreon

Buy Amy A Coffee

Go to Amy's Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment