Wednesday 6 September 2023

G'nort's Illustrated Swimsuit Edition #1 - Comic Review

 


I count the Green Lanterns amongst my favourite comics, I love the characters, the mythology, and operatic space adventures, it's all my jam. But I also love G'nort. I've got a soft spot for the weird dog man. I cheered when he arrived in the final issue of the Johns GL run, and I've got a sweet G'nort action figure on my shelf that I bought the second I saw it without any hesitation. As such, I was delighted when G'nort's Illustrated Swimsuit Edition was announced. I needed more G'nort in my life.

Sadly, from that perspective, the issue is something of a let down, as the character barely features in it. Most of the issue is given over to scantily clad heroes in their beach wear in sexy pin-up style images that look fantastic and feature some great artists. There are however, two stories included in the book.

The first of the stories, 'Baewatch' is written by Julie Benson and Shawna Benson, and features art from Meghan Hetrick and Marissa Louise, and features Poison Ivy, Black Canary, Huntress, Vixen, and Batgirl pretending to be having a fun day at the beach, whilst secretly on the lookout for Penguin, who's there to get revenge that his private beach was opened to the public. The villain tries to destroy an underwater pipeline, and ladies set out to stop him. The story is decent enough, has a sense of fun to it, has a cute look to it, and it feels like the kind of thing you'd get from an all ages cartoon rather than something in main continuity; yet remains enjoyable. 

The second story is 'Out There' by Steve Orlando, which sees Midnighter and Apollo hanging out and relaxing on the beach when they pick up a call for help out at sea. Springing into action, they find the gorilla terrorist Monsieur Mallah attacking a ship, trying to free his lover, The Brain, from Imprisonment. The heroes defeat the villains, but having seen that they just want to be together, arrange for them to be put in adjoining cells whilst in prison. 

The issue also includes a page of text interview with G'nort, where he discusses taking pin-up pictures for the special. And that's about it, that's all you get in the issue. Several sexy pictures, two stories that vaguely involve the beach, and a fake interview. 

As someone who picked this up to add it to my Green Lantern collection because G'nort was in the title and on the cover I do feel quite let down by it, especially with the price tag too. This could have been a lot better, especially as many of the images inside the book have already been shared around online before the book's release, with only a handful of pages feeling like new material.



Support Amy on Patreon

Buy Amy A Coffee

Go to Amy's Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment